Tuesday 22 December 2009

Well, friends - dear friends all of you - it's rare to find me speechless so savour the moment!  The way you've all got behind me and thought of me and prayed about me.  Completely just kept me going when I felt so frightened.  Your comments and emails meant the world to me.  Thank you.




I actually got around to making some sausage rolls today, that staple of the British Christmas which we don't usually bother with because our tums will only hold so much, even at Christmas.

However, Delia Smith - my guru - did a Quick Flaky Pastry on telly and I just had to try it.  What better excuse when Ray next door told me where I could buy the "best Lincolnshire pork sausage meat in the county".  I'm not really a sausage fan but Keith is so I made Delia's pastry which involved grating frozen butter into plain flour and filled it with Ray-next-door's sausage.  To the left is the result: light, crisp, buttery, melt-in-the-mouth pastry, beautiful spicy, herby sausage.  I daren't really print the recipe because it'll be copyrighted within an inch of its life and Delia's recipes just never need tweeking so I can't do that and call it my own.  Trust me, they're yummy!  


Keith wanted to make something for lunch.  It involved peeling potatoes and slicing them thinly, and then layering them in a casserole dish with smoked bacon (chopped), small mushrooms (sliced), strong cheddar cheese (lots of it) and double elmlea (cream substitute).  Then he sticks it in the oven and bakes it until the potatoes are tender and the cheesy sauce bubbling.  I did take a photo but it made it look a bit burnt (which it wasn't) so I've deleted it.  But a plate of that was exactly the thing for a freezing cold, snowy day.  All the nicer because I didn't make it myself

I know people in other parts of the world have worse weather than us but right now it feels as if this is the worst weather to hit anywhere!  Snow, ice, freezing fog, minus temperatures.  Oh for goodness sake it's winter so this is how it should be!   I've seen it written in the gardening columns:  the gardens are busting for a good old freeze-up to get rid of some of the bugs.  We whinge when we get grotty summers and then when the weather does it right for once we STILL whinge!  Let your kids play in it, let them toboggan and have snowball fights, let them wear holes in their gloves.  If the next great British freeze is as long coming as this one they'll only get one go at it in their childhood.

Talking of snow!  I've been watching Holby City whilst typing this.  It's supposed to be Christmas (cut to outside shot) brilliant sunshine and leaves on the trees.  I don't know, did the BBC think no-one would notice??  Or has the BBC had the date of Christmas moved and not said?

xxx

16 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Those flaky pastry rolls look like they are good for sure. I love sausage rolls and we do a variation with bread dough here at my house. But I do rather prefer flaky pastry. Your Keith's dish sounds right up my ally too. One thing about the cold weather and that is I think it increases my appetite. That's not a good thing as I get less exercise in the winter too. I used to gain about 10 pounds every winter and then lose it in the summer but in recent years...I don't lose it it seems I just keep adding it up. Yes winter is winter, but I'm dreaming of spring.

Joolz said...

Hi Angie

I'm lazy and use pre-cut and rolled puff pastry for sausage rolls. I might your way one day.

I found Delia's recipe for the sausage rolls on line so your readers can go there and get the recipe. It's a lovely site.

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/meat/sausages/sausage-rolls.html

Cheers - Joolz

Jackie said...

Angie...I'm still thinkin of you, my friend. That won't stop....
I'm so glad that you've had the prayers and support of your family and friends. What would we do without them...
Your pastry rolls look delish! I've decided that I'm going to look like the Pillbury dough Boy (girl) after the holidays...but...I'm enjoying every bite!!!
Merry Christmas, my friend. I continue to pray for your well being. Many hugs....
Jackie

Marie Rayner said...

mmmm....Angie, sausage rolls and a delicious sounding potato casserole! I'll be right over!!! Wot!!! You've eaten them all??? NO FAIR!!! You'll just have to make em again!! Seriously those look fab and you are so right, Delia never gets anything wrong. Her recipes are foolproof! I like the snow, but it's no fun when you need to get around in it is it? Todd says he hasnt' seen snow like this since he was a milkman back in the early 70's so that's a long time! We have a lot of ice now due to the thawing and freezing, which is quite treacherous, but the snow was lovely for Christmas wasn't it. Love you much!! xxoo
PS Merry Christmas if I don't speak to you before then! xxoo

Andy said...

Those sausage rolls sound decidely yummy!
andy x

Joan said...

Noticed the silly snow too last night on Holby. Your sausage rolls look yummee please pass one over. We are nearly knee deep here this morning it is just one snow fall after another and it is mounting up. Keep warm and safe and Happy Christmas to youo and hubby. Love Joan

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Your sausage rolls look grand!!! Wishing you the Holiest and Happiest of Christmases! Cathy

RuthnJasper said...

Angie - much as I love you, I may have to sue you. I'm sorry. Jasper took one look at those sausage rolls of yours and dribbled all over the place! Lincolnshire sausages are his favourite type as well - he LOVES the herby taste! I knew that you were talented, but had no idea that you were such a brilliant cook as well! Keith is a lucky, lucky man.

We sometimes make that dish that Keith made - Dauphinoise Potatoes. Mmmm.... We haven't had our tea yet! Jacket potato with cheese & butter tonight; you've whetted our appetite for the humble spud!

Thanks for your kind message - we were glad to be together in the scary snow-journey as well. Many cuddles were exchanged. And Jasper promises that he will never start on the bluetits. He likes birds - or, as he sometimes calls them, "bait"...!

You're one of life's good 'uns, Angie. The world is a better place because you are in it. xxxxx

Grammy Staffy said...

I must hop on a plane and drop over to have some of those sausage rolls....they look so yummy.

I am so thankful that you did not get bad news....what a relief!!!

I can't call you because I am at my daughter's...but I am wishing you the Best Christmas ever.

I've put Christmas greetings on my past 2 post I'd like to share with you. Come over for a visit when you can. Hugs, Lura

Gloria Baker said...

I love Delia Smith recipes, I have a lot and sometimes post someones of her, I have many friends in her site.
Have a nice and yummy Christmas and God Blessing you, huggs! gloria

Anonymous said...

Oh Angie...if I was a stronger swimmer I would surely try to make it to your house for those delicious looking sausage rolls..and that casserole..I can smell it almost LOL..my kinda food for a cold day also...we have "doged the bullet" as they say with the weather...it is early here...52 degrees and raining...so maybe we won't have a white christmas..but it will be a great day anyway!!! I am waiting for the grands to wake up so we can open presents....wonder who the child is here???? LOL...hugs to you and Keith...from Ora in KY

ADB said...

Hope you're having a great Christmas this year

Guido

Jackie said...

Angie...I am thinking of you, and checking to see how you are doing and how you are feeling. I do hope that all is well with you. Take care, my friend. Hugs to you from Jackie

Blessings each day said...

I love grotty summers and whinging but I'm not sure how to use grotty...can anything else be grotty??? And is whinging like whining??

Keith's meal sounds so yummy that I will have to try to make something as close as possible to it.

Hope you had a super lovely and holy Christmas and that the New Year means a showering of blessings on you and Keith in all ways.

blessings with warm hugs,

marcy

CINDY said...

yum they look delicious. Share the recipe? lol Happy 2010.

Ben said...

{{{ Angie }}} What time should I be over for sausage rolls?

Happy New Year, dear...
Ben
http://ben-better-left-unsaid.blogspot.com/